Mike Stumbras grew up in Chicago, Illinois, where he became interested in Ceramic Art. Stumbras studied Ceramics at St Olaf College, where he received his BFA and BS in Biology. He received his MFA in Ceramics from Louisiana State University. Stumbras has completed residencies across the country and is currently a full time visiting professor of ceramics at the College of William and Mary.
Mike Stumbras- CV
email@example.com—195 Merrimac Trl. #12, Williamsburg VA, 23185—(708)-205-1749
- A passion for research in ceramic and visual arts as well as a passion for teaching.
- More than ten years of experience as an instructor, with extensive experience teaching hand building, wheel throwing, multimedia, glaze chemistry classes, workshops and college level foundations and intermediate, and advanced classes in an academic setting.
- Dedicated personal experience in kiln building and firing electric, gas, and atmospheric kilns.
- Competence in 3D fabrication techniques with experience using Rhino and Blender, glaze formulation programs Hyperglaze and Digitalfire as well as Adobe illustrator and Photoshop.
• St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN. BFA in Studio Art May, 2011
• St Olaf College, Northfield, MN. BS in Biology, May, 2011
• Louisiana State University, LA, MFA Cermaics, 2014-2017 ____________________________________________ Experience
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art and Art History, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA. 2017-Current
- Duties include teaching a 3-3 course load, including ceramics wheel, hand building and 3D design courses. Studio and materials management, student club liaison, visiting artists, firing and repairing electric, gas and atmospheric kilns.
Graduate Teaching Assistantship, LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 2014-2017
• Teacher of record ART1662 Intro to Wheel Throwing
• Teacher of record ART1012 Foundations 3-D
- Teacher of record ART 4020 Experiments in Polymer Clay
- Teacher of record ART 2661 Understanding Ceramic Glaze and Material Chemistry
- Teacher of record ART 1662 Intro to Hand Building
Resident Artist and Teacher, Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO 2013-2014
- Duties include teaching beginning and advanced Classes at the Clay Center, continuing
- to develop a body of work for a solo show, actively engaging in the Carbondale and
- Snowmass ceramic communities as well as general maintenance.
- Special education ceramics classes for the Carbondale School District outreach program.
Resident Artist and Teacher, Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY 2012-2013
- Duties include making work, teaching beginning and advanced classes at CAC and offsite-including wheel-throwing and glaze chemistry classes, as well as 15+ hours a week loading and firing kilns and doing general maintenance.
- Teacher for OASIS, after school art program for Port Chester elementary schools including BOCES certification.
Resident Artist/Teacher, 323 Clay Studio, Independence, MO 2011-2012
- Duties include 27 hours per week of firing kilns, mixing glazes, gallery and retail management. Preparing work for a solo show, and teaching classes, including wheel-throwing, handbuilding, and glaze chemistry classes.
- Co-Taught glazing workshop in May, 2012 with Steven Hill.
Ceramics Assistant, Center Street Clay Steven Hill, Sandwich, IL 2007–11
- Four years as workshop assistant and part time resident artist for ceramic artist Steven Hill.
- Trained and proficient in single firing, reduction and oxidation, microcrystalline as well as midrange and high temperature firing. Knowledgeable about materials, glaze chemistry and glaze formulation. Proficient in Digitalfire INSIGHT, and Hyperglaze glaze chemistry software.
Ceramics Instructor, Artist-Terra Incognito, Oak Park, IL 2007-2011
- Four years experience teaching teen, preteen and adult wheel-throwing and hand- building classes.
- Significantly increased the size and popularity of classes over the four year period.
- Participated as a Resident Artist for the Annual Resident’s show.
Ceramics Department Student Technician, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN 2008-2011
- Three years’ experience firing kilns, assistant teaching, mixing glazes and helping around the studio
Sculpture and Gallery Assistant for Margo McMahon 2007
- Experience in mounting large sculptures on site
- Developed proficiency in plaster casting and mold making
2018 "Reinventing the Classics” December exhibition at In Tandem Gallery, Bakersville, NC
2108 New York Ceramics and Glass Fair with Ferrin Contemporary
2018 Solo Exhibition “Sojourn” at the Andrews Gallery, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
2018 June upcoming duo exhibition at the Eutectic Gallery, Portland, OR
2018 NCECA Gallery Expo, Clay Art Center
2018 Invited to “La Mesa” (June) Exhibition at Santa Fe Clay, Santa Fe, NM
2018 3rd Place, On The Rocks Exhibition, national juried exhibition by Pete Pinnell, Pewabic Pottery, Detroit MI
2018 Accepted to the International Cup, Internationally juried exhibition, The Clay Studio of Missoula, Missoula MT
2018 Juror, Twin Cups, Missouri Western State University Clay Guild.
2018 Invited to “Pairings” exhibition at the Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO
2017 Invited to Nationally Juried “Containers” exhibition at Three Wheel Studio, Providence RI
2017 Winter Salon II at the Cerebra Gallery, Kansas City, MO
2017 Finalist for the Zanesville Prize, Zanesville, Ohio
2017 Invited Artist to Cup: The Intimate Object XIII at the Charlie Cummings Gallery
2017 Accepted to The Clay Studio Graduate Student Biennial, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia,
2017 June Solo Exhibition “Immemorial” at Braden-Lee Gallery, Kansas City, MO
2017 April Solo Thesis Exhibition “Oblivion” at the Glassell Gallery, Baton Rouge, LA
2017 Awarded “Emerging Artist” Spotlight, Ceramics Monthly
2017 Invited to CLAY REVIEW, at the Abernathy Arts Center, Sandy Springs, GA
2017 Accepted to nationally juried “Beyond the Brickyard” show at the Archie Bray, Helena, MT
2017 Invited to REWIND, 60th Anniversary show, Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY
2017 Invited to “Pairings” show at the Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO
2017 Nichols State University Invitational, Thibideaux, LA
2017 Invited lecturer, Nichols State University, Thibideaux, LA
2016 Evening Star Cup Award, nationally juried “Fire and Earth” at the Del Ray Artisans Guild, Alexandria, VA
2016 Accepted to nationally juried “The Cup, The Mug” show at Main Street Gallery, Clifton NY
2016 Invited artist to nationally juried “Annual Cup Show”, Three Wheel Studio, Providence, RI
2016 Invited to “Locals” show at the Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO
2016 Invited to “Pairings”, cup show at the Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO
2016 Accepted to nationally juried “Cup: The Intimate Object XII”, at the Charlie Cummings Gallery, online
2016 Accepted to nationally juried “Strictly Functional Pottery National”, at Kevin Lehman’s Pottery, Lancaster, PA
2016 Accepted to internationally juried “Cheers” at Medalta, Medicine Hat, AB
2016 Accepted to nationally juried “Last Call” show at the Companion Gallery, Humboldt, TN
2016 Accepted to nationally juried “Working Pots” James May Gallery, Algoma, Wisconsin
2016 Accepted to “Twin Cups”, nationally juried show at Missouri Western State University. 2016
2106 Jurors Choice Award nationally juried “Elements--Drink Me: cups, mugs, and tumblers” at the Mariani Gallery, University of Northern Colorado
2016 Invited to “Generations: A Legacy of Mentorship” show at the Bredin-Lee gallery. 2016 NCECA in Kansas City,
2016 Participated at 323 gallery show and sale 2016 NCECA in Kansas City, MO
2016 Accepted into NCECA national juried student show at the Leedy-Voulkos gallery, Kansas City, MO
2015 Accepted to nationally Juried “Annual Teapot Show” at Three Wheel Studio in Providence, RI
2015 “Molding minds” article about Mike Stumbras as a teacher written by Brittany Basco, “DigBR” Magazine
2015 “Reshaping the Pottery World”, interview for TigerTV and the newspaper “The Reville”
2015 First Place Functional, nationally juried 2015 Nellie Allen Smith Pottery Exhibition, Cape Fear Studios, Fayetteville, NC
2015 Featured Graduate Student, Louisiana State University broadcast
2015 Author of “radioCHROME” article about radiation colored pottery, Dec 2015 Ceramics Monthly
2015 Annual Holiday Show at the Carbondale Clay Center, in Carbondale, CO
2015 Accepted to nationally juried Studio 550's “3rd Annual Cup Show” in Manchester, NH
2015 “La Vie Rouge” Graduate Student Exhibition,
2015 Best in Show, “Tabletop” national juried show The Art League, Alexandria VA
2015 Invited to exhibit at the “Gallery Expo” at NCECA for the Clay Art Center, Providence, RI
2015 Invited to Participate in the “9th annual Yunomi Invitational Show” at the AKAR Gallery,Iowa City, IA
2015 Accepted to juried “Twin Cups! National Ceramics Exhibition 2015”, MWSU Clay Guild, MO
2015 Invited to exhibit at the “Gallery Expo” at NCECA for the Clay Art Center, Providence, RI 2015 Invited to Participate in the “9th annual Yunomi Invitational Show” at the AKAR Gallery, Iowa City, IA
2015 Accepted to juried “Twin Cups! National Ceramics Exhibition 2015”, MWSU Clay Guild, MO
2015 Accepted to juried “Off the Table!: National Ceramics Exhibition 2015”, Missouri Western State University, MO
2015 Invited to “Pairings” exhibition and event at the Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO 2015 Invited to “History in the Making” past residents show at the Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO
2014 “Resilience: The Healing Power of Art” at the Healthcare Gallery in Baton Rouge, LA 2014 “Holiday invitational exhibition and sale” at the Carbondale Clay Center
2014 “Tabletop” international juried exhibition at The Art League, Alexandria,VA
2014 Public Lecture on “Contemporary Ceramics and Technology” at LSU Gallery in Baton Rouge, LA
2014 “Small Favors IX” at The Clay Studio of Philadelphia
2014 “Teabowl National” at the KC clay guild
2014 “Coffee, Tea, Or...3” national juried exhibition at Terra Incognito, Oak Park, IL 2014 “Roche” solo exhibition at the Carbondale Clay Center
2014 Featured in April 2014 Ceramics Monthly “Exposure” section
2014 “Twin Cups” national juried show at Missouri Western University
2014 “Hand in Hand” Invitational show at the Colorado Mountain College
2013 Ceramic Arts Daily “Professional Artist Yearbook”
2013 “Pairings” at the Carbondale Clay Center
2013 “Indelible” at the Baltimore Clay Works
2013 “On the Horizon” artist and residence show at the St. Petersburg Clay company
2013 Holiday Pottery sale at Carbondale Clay Center
2013 Recipient of the Elaine Hoffman Rattet Grant for “commitment to their work and contributions they have made to enrich the studio experience of others”
2013 “Winterfest” invitational at Baltimore Clay Works
2013 “Behind the Scenes” show at the Carbondale Clay Center
2013 Article “Veneer”, about Mike Stumbras in the Westchester Times Tribune
2013 “Veneer” solo show at the Clay Art Center in Port Chester, NY
2013 Public Lecture at Residents Opening at the Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY
2013 “Invitational Bowl Show” at Studio 550 Art Center in Manchester, NH
2013 “From The Earth” national juried show at Tri-Lakes Center For The Arts, Palmer Lake, CO 2013 Published in 500 teapots second edition by Lark Ceramics
2013 “Duets” invitational at the Clay Art Center
2012 Clay Art Center holiday sale and show
2012 SPCC “LAST CALL” call for entries juried show at St. Petersburg Clay in St. Petersburg FLA
2012 Invitational show at Terra Incognito in Oak Park, Il
2012 Resident Artist Exit show at 323clay in Independence, MO
2012 “It’s Only Clay” acceptance into national juried show at the Bemidji Clay Art Center in Bemidji, Minnesota.
2012 3rd Biennial “Central Time Ceramics” acceptance into national juried show at Bradley University Galleries
2012 Participated in the KC Clay Guild juried holiday sale
2011 “Threads” BFA thesis show
2011 First Place “It’s Only Clay” national juried show at the Bemidji Clay Art Center in Bemidji, Minnesota.
2011 Cafecito, NCECA affiliated juried show in Tampa, Florida.
2011 “Artists in Residence” show at Terra Incognito in Oak Park, Il
2011 Holiday Pottery sale and studio tour with the KC Clay Guild
2010 First Place in the 2009 US Pottery Games, College Division, in Cambridge Wisconsin 2010 “Unwedged” Juried show at Pottery Northwest in Seattle, Washington
2010 Invitational show at Terra Incognito in Oak Park
2009 solo show “Letters” in the Kelsey Gallery at St. Olaf College
2009 joint show with Joey Fleming in the St Olaf Student Gallery
2007 juried show at the Oak Park Art League
2007-08 acceptance into annual juried exhibition at St. Olaf College